Monday, February 3, 2014

My progress on learning ukulele... One year on....

Before you make your comments. YES! I realize Peter Sellers is playing the banjolele...
I never really had a hobby. I draw but I don't consider that to be a hobby. So last year my wife got me a ukulele. And (very) slowly, I have been teaching myself to play in my free time. Mostly finger shapes and where certain chords go.

I've always loved music but I've never had the same grasp of it that my parents or my brother and sister have. My brother can play guitar and my sister piano (same for my folks in that respective order) but I never could play myself.

I very well could have had some form of OCD for all I know.

But most of my friends played an instrument and I kind of had to sit on the sidelines and listen in. I can't sing very well either.

However, I turn 38 in a week and I'm finally learning music in the form of the ukulele. I'm even teaching myself my first song.

While I'm still rough around the edges, Syd even says now "It sounds like music" when I strum the strings. So that's progress.

Trust me. There's no delusions of a career in the music biz. I'm well past my prime for that. I'm just enjoying myself and happy I finally "got it" after nearly 20 odd years.

No comments: