Thursday, May 7, 2015

Commissioned Art: THE SIGN OF FOUR

 
Illustrated on Bainbridge 15x20 Illustration Board in Deleter #4 Black Drawing Ink.
 
I'm back to using Deleter after trying out Sumi Ink. I've just found I enjoy working in Deleter much more and missed it. I'll probably have to order some more bottles of it.
 
It's also the first time I've worked on Bainbridge Illustration Board in nearly 13 or 14 years.
 
The request was to have Sherlock Holmes more in line with Basil Rathbone's look as the character. I also got a little inspiration from artist Robin Jacques's artwork for a radio adaptation of THE SIGN OF FOUR featured in an issue of RADIO TIMES. The image was published in THE SHERLOCK HOLMES SCRAPBOOK (which has a wonderful introduction by Peter Cushing) which I usually work from when I need reference material along with SHERLOCK HOLMES'S LONDON.
 
 

No comments: