Thursday, May 7, 2015

Just what the Doctor ordered...

I have never shied away from the fact I am a life long Doctor Who fan. Ever since the early 1980's when WGBH Channel 2 Boston started playing them around 7PM in the evening (I think) I have been hooked on the show.
 
I look at it this way. You either love the show or you just don't get it. I love the show.
 
Recently, my wife Syd had found a Groupon to go to Super Mega Fest in Marlborough Massachusetts. One of the guests at the show was going to be Sylvester McCoy. Which some of you might know as Radagast the Brown.
 
But the rest of us Doctor Who fans know as The Seventh Doctor.
 
Well, we got the Groupon. How many chances does one get in one's lifetime to meet an actor who portrayed a character you enjoyed greatly.
 
I decided to present Sylvester with an original illustration. But I decided to do it with a twist. Back in the day there was a novel in the Doctor Who New Adventure line which had #7 crossing paths with Sherlock Holmes.
 
And I read recently, Big Finish Productions was to do an audio adaption of said novel with Sylvester McCoy portraying his incarnation of the Doctor.
 
So I decided to use that as the basis of my illustration.

 
Having Holmes and Watson entering the Doctor's TARDIS. I also used the TARDIS console room from the 1996 Paul McGann movie because he had stated in past interviews it being a favorite of his.
 
I finished the piece, framed and matted it and Syd and I gave it to him at Super Mega Fest.
 
And what might have helped him accepting the piece is he liked my hat. Which was the first comment he made when I walked over. Probably grinning like an idiot.
 
For those of you non-Doctor Who fans to understand. For me, this was like meeting William Shatner and Mark Hamill in person.
 
Later in the day I won some swag in Nerd Trivia because I knew Luke Skywalkers nickname on Tatooine and who was the artistic team who created Captain America...
 
...and just in case you didn't know the answers were Wormie and Joe Simon and Jack Kirby respectively. You don't know how many people said Stan Lee. Although, he did help to create half if not most of the Marvel Universe. However, he did not create Captain America.

No comments: