Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Inspiration for Doctor Watson

Of course one of the inspirations for the way Watson will look in my graphic novel is based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Since the story is being told through Watson's point of view, my feeling is Doyle is Watson.



My other inspiration is pretty obscure. What really inspired my look for Watson came when I decided to do a little bit of sketching around the Worcester Art Museum after classes one day. Right after you enter through the cafe, on the left side wall, there's a painting of Stephen Salisbury III.



I had passed the painting many times without much notice. Usually I'm so busy taking my classes from gallery to gallery that I really don't have time to stop and smell the roses.

But that day I happened to look at the painting and say to myself "There's my Watson!!" which I promptly made a sketch of his look and his attire.

No comments: