
I suppose if you want to look at the bright side of it all, it DID get people to stop trying to strangle one another over the whole health care issue for about an hour and a half. Okay, more like for fifteen seconds.
I never particularly cared for Disney. I never liked either their cartoons or their live action movies. The British probably still hate us over Dick Van Dyke's awful cockney accent. I would.
But nothing against people who DO enjoy the magic of Disney. If you enjoy Disney films and cartoons, go on enjoying them. It's just not my pint of beer.
And I've always liked DC Comics more than Marvel. But I don't dislike Marvel Comics. There's just too much about classic Marvel Comics to simply write them off. I liked Ditko's, Romita Sr. and McFarlane's run on Spider-Man, bits and bobs of the Star Wars series, Jim Lee's run on the X-Men, Doctor Who Magazine early on and The Death of Captain Marvel.
Great stuff!!
I can see the side of some people's argument why this would be bad. Seeing that Disney had been known historically for creating saccharine induced light-weight family movies and more recently tween focused shows that have cornered the young girl demographic.
Does this mean that suddenly you will see the Incredible Hulk rocking out with Hannah Montana or Wolverine singing along with the Mickey Mouse Club? It's quite possible the result of the sale might end up with watered down version of your favorite Marvel characters.
But probably not and here's a possible reasons why.
This is Disney's opportunity to nab the male demographic. Most young guys like to read superhero comics and movies. And so I think the brain trust at the Disney Corporation will focus on that high octane element in hopes to rope in more guys to see a Disney film.
And with a character like Spider-Man, you have that best of both worlds where you can create both an action movie and a chick flick.
Although, they might do this under one of their Umbrella companies. It still might lack the punch to have the Magic Kingdom with pixie dust sprinkling down on it appearing in the title sequence just before Wolverine comes at you covered in blood and rearing his claws.
All in all, I'm not completely surprised by all of this. Seeing that DC Comics is owned by one of Disney's biggest historic rivals, Warner Brothers, it seems to make perfect sense to me that Disney would buy one of DC's biggest historic rivals in Marvel Comics.
Will it be good or bad? Only time will tell. Excelsior! Excelsior! 'Nuff said!
No comments:
Post a Comment