Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Stephen Fry as the Detective Inspector... well, sort of.


I had mentioned this in the past but when I was originally creating the illustrations for The Black Widow, Stephen Fry's performance as Inspector Thompson was my inspiration for the Detective Inspector. I just loved how he played arrogant and blithering at the same time and the way he treated Constable Dexter.

Probably what also stuck with me is how he was barely able to get his name out when he would introduce himself. Something that I ended up doing with the Detective Inspector to a greater extent where I never really named him at all.

But then again, I never really gave the Black Widow a proper name either. Something I don't really plan to do to either character anytime soon.

So, Fry's character from that movie really just stuck with me as I created the series of illustrations and then worked on the performance piece and then finally in Diary of the Black Widow and The Spaghetti Strand Murder.

I haven't really got any future stories planned for the Detective Inspector anytime soon. But you never know.

No comments: