Sunday, May 2, 2010

Free Comic Book Day: The Day After...

This year was so much better than last year!! Just for the fact I was both healthy and I got out work around noontime so I was able to stay at the show longer.

And I made a few sales this year. Which can be difficult at a show like this and rightfully so. It is FREE COMIC BOOK DAY after all and a lot of people are there for the free books and sketches. Which I gladly supplied them with this year with some free copies of Attack of the Alterna Zombies as well as sketches of anything they asked me to do.

Strangest request of the day. Someone asked me to draw Squirtle from Pokemon. Yes! You read that right! Squirtle! It was the request the amused me the most. I think the kid (who was probably in his late teens or early twenties) was waiting for me to tell him to push off. But I had no intention of doing that. I just asked him to go find a picture of Squirtle for me to work with. The lads at T.E. were very prompt at picture of Squirtle.

So, I immediately started drawing the most demented picture of Squirtle I could think of. This one looks like it would not only spray you with water but also eat your flesh.

Another thing I love doing shows and conventions is getting to chat with the artists. Both the well known ones and the famous ones. This year TE had Mark McKenna appearing. He was really great!! Very nice guy. And he was able to back up what I have been telling my class about how difficult it is to draw Spider-Man's webbing.

Usually when we're doing a comic book project or some Pop Art Painting, I am certain to mention to them imagine trying to do the webbing in Spider-Man's costume for a whole comic book with 29 pages and roughly three to six panels per page.

Most of the time, my students eyes will widen and their jaws will drop.

But the advice Mark gave about drawing Spider-Man's webbing was great!! He said think that it's radiating from his chest. I'm going to have to remember that when I'm doing a Pop Art Painting Class.

But the first day of my book tour went really well and now it's onto stART on the Street: Spring Edition!!

No comments: