Friday, June 18, 2010

Garfield Minus Garfield


Garfield Minus Garfield is probably one of the funniest books I've read in a long time. Probably because Garfield hasn't been funny in the longest time either. I got into a lot of hot water a while back when I made some less than savory comments about Garfield on Amazon.com and several people were certain to tell me I had no right to express my opinion.

Sorry folks!! Garfield has sucked for a long time now. Deal with it and move on!! The cartoon below basically sums up ever Garfield comic strip ever made.

That was fun!! Well, about maybe a year or so ago I come across this book Garfield Minus Garfield at Worcester's premier comic book shot and pop culture emporium That's Entertainment. Immediately I was floored!!

I found the whole concept of removing Garfield from the strip to be a riot. If you think about it Garfield and Jon never really have a conversation. All of Garfield's witty banter is all in thought. So basically Jon is talking with himself all day.

From that point we begin to see Jon Arbuckle for who he really is. A very sad man who doesn't have much human contact possibly on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

As you can see, without Garfield in the strip, what Jon has to say becomes strangely sad.

Any of you remember Lyman, Jon's roommate, in the early days of the strip? One moment he was there and then suddenly he vanished without a trace.

Perhaps one night Jon killed him and served him up in some fried green tomatoes one night. The obvious voices in his head might have instructed him to do that.

What I didn't realize is that the book was all based on a website created by Dan Walsh. So, if you would like to check it out and read the adventures of Jon Arbuckle and his losing battle against loneliness and depression in a quiet American suburb, click on the link below:

No comments: