Monday, June 21, 2010

If I were to direct a Batman film...

And No. I don't see Warner Brothers or DC Comics knocking on my front door anytime soon to direct or do character designs for any upcoming Batman films. But if I were given that opportunity, here's how I would approach it.

I would base my design for the Batman costume on Neal Adams. Not a blue cape and cowl mind you. But just the general look of both the cape and the cowl to be based on that design.

I've seen a great deal of the Batman independent films like the one I just blogged about creating the mask cape and gloves with a more leather look rather than the rubber suit and mask they have been creating for Batman in the movies since the first Tim Burton films.

I would also do the costume itself in a dark gray rather than the all black look that has become the norm with Batman. The reason for that is I don't think Batman should be all dark. Also you can see the Batman insignia a better than you can in an all dark suit.

I'd want the cape to be able to be removed from both the mask and the costume itself like in the first image you see. You couldn't be able to do a scene like that with the Tim Burton Costume design.

The design of the insignia I would base on the one they used in the 1943 Batman movie serials.

Perhaps a bit pointer on the bat ears, but overall I think it's a great design.

My Batman would be a cross between Indiana Jones and James Bond. I think that's definitely my leanings towards the Dennis O'Neil/Neal Adams Batman which seemed very influenced by the James Bond era of movies. That's how I would want to approach Batman.

I like the idea of Batman being more of a Indiana Jones globetrotting style hero. Maintaining that darkness that has been established with Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan but not too dark and brooding.

But that's pretty much how I would approach a Batman film. Not that I see it happening anytime soon ;-)

2 comments:

StevenW said...

Umm, that's one take on Batman, sure ...

Bret M. Herholz said...

I suppose I've always wanted to see one of the mainstream companies do a version of Batman that was more akin with the comic book. Sort of like in these fan films:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQU0DnCAnDU

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjp0I_okX0w

Andrew Koenig who played Boner on Growing Pains is the Joker in the second clip.