Friday, June 25, 2010

Introducing... THE BLACK DANDY!!




Over the past few years Andy Fish has gotten me into the old movie serials of the 1930's and 1940's. I love old movies to begin with. From The Marx Brothers to Woman in the Window. But I never really watched many of the serials. The thing that's great about them was that they were just great fun to watch.

I've wanted to do a project in the spirit of those old serials for the longest time now. And so it all began when I asked Andy if the Spider is still under copyright. Which he was. But then that start us chatting about perhaps doing one of our own utilizing all the great serials like The Spider, The Green Hornet, The Phantom Creeps and even a little Flash Gorden in there.

Enter: The Black Dandy.

The name was actually supposed to be a joke. But for whatever reason the more I looked at it the more the whole concept of this pulp avenger dressed as somewhat a cross between a hard-boiled detective and something out of an Oscar Wilde play.

So we both came up with designs for the character we will use. I plan on using a great deal of what Andy added to the character. I noticed my design lacks a utility belt and what pulp avenger does not have a utility belt?

Another thing I wanted to utilize was the Flying Jackson Skull as an insignia for him. For those unfamiliar what the Flying Jackson Skull is, it's the little winged skull found on old tombstones. Preferably ones from around the 1700's.

At the moment I am illustrating pages for the first chapter and Andy is writing the script. Then we're going to trade off and Andy is going to take up the illustrating obligations and I am going to script the second chapter.

But stay tuned for Chapter One in the upcoming issue of Detour.

No comments: