
Mia Mia Pizzeria and Chicken Shack (as it says on the sign) located on 916 Southbridge Road, Auburn, MA right across the street from Periwinkles Bar and Grille is a great little place that I finally got a chance to check out. I very rarely go out to Auburn unless to get on the Mass Pike. But I've passed by the place on several occasions. And I believe the building itself has been several different pizza places dating back to when I used to work at the Wal*Mart across the street back in 1995/1996.
My cousin Jared and I discovered it one night after an ill-fated attempt to go to Peppercorns in Worcester and sample one of the Wormtown Beers. Peppercorns was PACKED by 7pm, so we decided that perhaps dining in the Woo was not in the cards, so we headed outside the city. At first we thought Periwinkles but that was pretty packed too. But right across the road we saw Mia Mia's. We saw they served beer and we thought "Let's give it a try".
The guy in the chicken costume standing outside waving at passing traffic amused us enough to want to give it a try too.
And I'm glad we did. It was a pleasant surprise. I thought the owner could have been Marisa Tomei. Or at least a sister of Marisa Tomei ;-)
And I actually liked the set up of the place. Restaurant feel while still maintaining the way you order at a pizza place. You find your seat, read from the menu and then you go back and order your meal.
I liked that. It was something I hadn't done before at a regular restaurant. I understand some people might be put up with the whole concept of having to get up to place your order. But doesn't seem like a big deal to me. You have to stand up and wait at a McDonalds or Burger King. And in this case, you've getting food that's a helluva lot better than either.
I haven't gotten to the food yet. We had a small Potato Skin Pizza with Buffalo Wings. Both were excellent!! The servers weren't lightning fast but at the same time we weren't waiting half the evening for the food either.
And they served beer. Not a huge selection. But perfect for a small place like this. AND they had Sam Adams. So, I was happy :-)
The decor of the place (as pictured above) is very nice too. Very laid back and tasteful with nice music playing in the background to add to the ambiance.
So, I would highly recommend a visit to Mia Mia's if you're looking for a new place to eat!!
2 comments:
This place used to be King's Pizza back when I was a kid. There were hand painted murals on the walls, Tiffany knock-off lights hanging over every table, and some of the most amazing pizza we ever had. Then the family sold the space and their recipes and everything went downhill. I am so glad to see a new name with a classy look again! Cheers for the heads up.
That's right!! I was trying to think of the name of the place. I was killing me!!
You're very welcome!! Mia Mia is a great little place and I hope they're able to stay there for a while!! Chicken costume and all ;-)
Post a Comment