Monday, August 30, 2010

The Perfect BBQ Chicken and Miller High-Life


For those of you who just load your chicken up with BBQ Sauce and throw it on the grill, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! Don't argue with me about it. It's a fact. You're wrong. Deal with your failure and get on with your life.

The problem with doing chicken that way is the fact it never cooks right. It never cooks all the way through and you end up with this rubbery/blubbery taste to both the meat and the skin. It's gross. No matter how much hot sauce and BBQ sauce you load that bugger up with. It tastes gross.

The secret is boiling the chicken first. What you say? I said you boil the chicken first. No lie!! Having it boiled before you throw it on the grill I've found actually makes it really tender. Because what you're pretty much doing is just browning it up on the grill to give it that BBQ flavor.

Here's another trick to help give it a great flavor. Add either the BBQ or hot sauce to the water and boil in the sauce/water mix. I've been doing this almost the entire Summer and the result is probably the best grilled chicken I've ever had.

After you've boiled it you can still add a layer of BBQ or hot sauce to the bird before you throw it on the grill.

And here's a fun drink combination you might want to try before the Summer ends. I had gotten the idea from an artist friend of mine Derek Ring. Mix Miller High-Life with Country Time Lemonade.

Don't make that face while you read this!! I mean think about it. People drink Bud Lime (for some reason) they put lime in Corona and they put a lemon on the edge of the glass when they serve a Hefeweizen at the restaurants. So, adding Lemonade to High-Life is really no different.

And the results are really great!!

I don't think it would work as well with a beer like Narragansett, Schlitz or Sam Adams. I think it might have something to do with the fact that High-Life is a Pilsner style beer. But I'm not sure if it would work with any other Pilsner beer.

If you happen to drink another brand of Pilsner and would like to try it, write me at this blog and let me know if it works!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i think i will try the lemonade thing but i think it would be better with bud light, the trick with the chicken is obvious, if a person has any inkling of how to cook ,but thanks 4 the tip anyways

Bret M. Herholz said...

You're entirely welcome.

It's funny you mention that because I was just talking with someone about how it might go with Bud Light.

However, I'll have to take your word with the outcome because Bud Light is basically weasel piss to me.

Anonymous said...

HOw are you not the fattest little bastard around-- you drink beer for breakfast lunch and dinner! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and actually soaking the boiled chicken in beer before you grill it is amazing-- it's actually about the only way I use beer.

Bret M. Herholz said...

Well, several years ago I pissed off this nomadic gypsy who put a curse on me....

Ha ha!! I've actually thought about doing that with with the chicken. I will have to do that before the Summer is up :-)