Thursday, December 8, 2011

What was that old saying? If it ain't broke...

...which can be said for the Three Stooges. Creating a film about the Stooges with actors trying to look and act like Moe, Larry and Curly just doesn't seem right. Like you're committing one of the Seven Deadly Sins. I suppose this one would fit in somewhere between wrath and lust.

Unless you're physically able to reanimated their corpses (although I don't think there is much left of them nowadays) it just feels like something you shouldn't be doing and those who attempt to try have a special place in hell designated to them next to the rapists and Vince from the Shamwow commericals.

And I'm afraid that's the fate of the Farrelly Brothers for having the audacity of producing this film. However, it could have been much worse.

Jim Carrey was originally going to be Curly.

I have no axes to grind against Will Sasso who they chose for Curley in this movie.

Since the Farrelly duo are generally known for bawdy humor like There's Something About Mary and Dumb and Dumber (two films I couldn't care less about) I imagine this is what would have happened if the surviving Stooges ended up making that X-Rated comedy Blazing Stewardesses.

However, Moe Howard died before that could be realized so that movie ended going to the surviving Ritz Brothers instead. So, the world was spared of both a Three Stooges sex comedy and a post-Larry Fine line-up of the Stooges which would have featured Emil Sitka in the Larry role.

And having suffered through both the Joe Besser and Curly Joe incarnations of the Stooges, it is good they group didn't go out on a film like that.

Isn't it bad enough their last film was The Outlaws Is Coming?

I cannot say I was very impressed with what I saw in the trailer. See my comments about Blazing Stewardesses above. It's bad enough they're even attempting a Three Stooges film in the first place. But the fact a non-entity like Snooki is connected with this film just feels like they've created an EIGHTH Deadly Sin.

Why can't Hollywood think of new ideas rather than rehashing the past in such a crude way? They tried it with King Kong, Planet of the Apes. Hell, they even tried to remake Night at the Opera as Brain Doners starring John Tuturro and it was awful.

Watch the trailer if you dare. And then pop one of the actual Three Stooges shorts into your DVD player so you can purge the image from your mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope.
I love The Stooges and I will not go see this.

Bret M. Herholz said...

Me neither. I don't even like the the Farrelly Brothers to begin with.