Saturday, February 16, 2013

Spring offerings at WAM


Obviously an older photo because when was the last time you remember Jim Davis ACTUALLY drawing Garfield?
Spring is just around the corner... well... my Spring Classes are just around the corner. This year I will be teaching a Saturday Morning Cartooning Class at the Worcester Art Museum for ages 8 to 10 years.

The class is students who are both new to drawing cartoons and those who draw cartoons all the time. It's also a great opportunity for students not only work with characters they have already created but also create new characters. The biggest thing I encourage students who take classes like mine, or Andy Fish's or Scott Nelson's cartooning classes is don't just think of these as characters to use just in the class. Create characters you can use outside of class.

And basically I'm going to go through ALL THINGS cartoon in this class. Comic strips, comic books and cartoon animation. We'll be doing it all!! Or at least all I can fit into eight weeks.

Click on the link to sign up today:

2 comments:

Comicbookrehab said...

I always imagined that if he(Jim Davis) had continued drawing the strip, the character designs would have become more triangular than rounder (check out the shape of Garfield's belly in that photo). i recall seeing thumbnail sketches drawn by Davis that were printed in one those "anniversary" books. Garfield's design would have probably evolved into looking like the "Concerto cat" that appeared in the "His 9 Lives" TV special from way back. Maybe not so much, but triangular, yes.

The Boomerang channel has been airing "The Garfield Show" lately - in which everything is CG - and I noticed that Garfield looks a lot cuter than Nermal these days. The joke about "the world's cutest kitten" was funny back when Gerfield looked like a stuffed trash bag with eyes. :)

Bret M. Herholz said...

It's funny you mentioned "Concerto Cat" because that was a particularly favorite segment of the Nine Lives special.

I caught a few episodes of The Garfield Show and it never did anything for me.

No swipe against Frank Welker who is doing his best to recreate Lorenzo Music's voice. Hell, Frank Welker does so many voices I'm not quite sure if I'm being voiced by Frank Welker as well.

It's a hard thing to try and "follow in someone's footsteps". You can see that in so many of the voice artists who have tried to capture the characters of Mel Blanc, Jim Henson, Daws Butler or Don Messick. They all make a good effort trying to recreate those characters. But there was just something in their voices that cannot be copied.

Honestly, when June Foray passes on I think life as we know it might end altogether.

That and I've never been a huge fan of the whole CGI movement. I understand the advantages of creating a CGI series as opposed to a traditionally drawn animated series or even a series done in Flash.

But I guess I'll always lean more towards tradtional animation over CGI. I'm kind of a dinosaur that way.