Those who know me (or have read this blog) know what a fan I am of Doctor Who harkening back to the days when it was first being broadcast on WGBH Boston. I completely understand there have been people who have been fans of the show longer back than that. However, for most American fans, the shows original run on PBS in the United States in the 1980's was our first introduction to the Doctor.
As much as I have enjoyed the actors who have portrayed the Doctor in the current series, I am thrilled about Peter Capaldi being cast as the Doctor. Its good to see an older actor being cast as the Doctor again. I use that term very VERY loosely because I do not consider 55 to be old.
But I think the program needed that change. Especially since the past two actors who have taken on the role had been on the relatively young side.
And I like the Doctor's new look as well. It very much reminds me of Third Doctor actor Jon Pertwee's look without the ruffles. Which was infact an accident. Pertwee's intention was to dress like The Master's Roger Delgado (seen to the right). Pertwee had shown up to a press call for the show in his Grandfather's old clothing. And the producers like the look so much on him that it stuck.
Now the maddening part is we'll have to wait till August or September to get our first glance at Peter Capaldi in action. However we do have Sherlock to pass the time right now.


No comments:
Post a Comment