Sunday, September 27, 2026

Thoughts on Indie Comics Creator Con 2026

 


This is like the third convention I've done in sports complex. I'm actually not sure why a lot of conventions are holding them in this type of venue. I'm wondering if the complex is a bit more affordable than the usual hotel or convention center. Not sure of that though. 

But I braved the alleged raindrops and made it down there to set up for Indie Comics Creator Con. It's actually raining more this morning than it was yesterday. 

Because of the potential storm, both sales and attendance were down considerably.  Needless to say, I didn't do great. But I definitely did better than I thought I'd do. 

As always, I offered commissions throughout the entire event. Nobody was interested so I sketched the entire day. If anything else, I'll have work ready for the next weekends convention up in St. Albans... again in a sports complex.

Actually, there might be something in this. I could call it my "complex tour". Ha ha!! Maybe not...

This one I DID manage to sell seconds after I completed it.




But my thoughts on the show. The first and foremost what impressed me was the caliber of guests. They had indie artists flying all the way in from California to attend. And if you go on the Indie Comics Creator Con website you can see this past Saturdays guest list.

The other thing I touched upon in a previous blog post. I saw a lot of creators selling their own comics and 'zines. This cheered me considerably. I still saw some of the usual fan art prints, stickers and key chains a lot of young creators seem to be selling more and more. But they still had either a comic or a 'zine for sale as well.

I'm not sure if there are people who look down their nose at them (you never know) but 'zines are fine. It's an attempt to tell a story and get it out their for people to read.

I don't honestly care if they're printing them out at home or going down to Staples to do the job. They're telling stories. That's all that matters.

I do print on demand. And even that is probably frowned upon or seen as "you're not a professional".

Still, I'd rather be seen as that and doing new work rather than doing nothing at all.

I also ran into my friend Dave Gordon at the show.


Its always good to see Dave and his friend Ken at the events. Ken had been Dave's copilot (of sorts) as he has been navigating the convention circuit for the first time in the past few years promoting what he has described as his graphic novel situation comedy Being Gordy. 

Definitely check his work out if you haven't. It's a lot of fun and really SHOULD BE a situation comedy on Netflix or one of the streaming platforms. 

The three of us ended up opted out of going to the after party (we're autumn roosters and not spring chickens anymore) and went to the Shannon View Inn instead for dinner after we left the show. I had missed the drink and draw Indie Creator Con hosted the night before and Dave really liked the ambiance and suggested it. I can see why he liked it. I thought it was pretty nice too.

We ended up chatting about our experiences with conventions as well as our mutual friend Andy Fish and toasted him. Dave had gone to high school with Andy.

After that Dave and Ken headed back to the hotel they were staying at and I made the 1 hour trip back up to Massachusetts to sleep in my own bed.

Well, another conversation in the books. Now it's onto Rail City Fanfest. 

No comments: