Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I finally got the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on DVD!!



Admittingly, I do prefer Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes over Basil Ratbone. But I DO like both The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Both of which are the only films Ratbone did on screen which were set in Victorian England.

I had gotten The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on video a while back. As much as I wanted to dislike the film for Nigel Bruce's horrible portrayal of Watson as a bumbling oaf, I honestly cannot hate this film. Although, this movie doesn't tend to get as much notice as it's predessesor, I actually really like this movie a lot more than the Hound of the Baskervilles.

On a side note, I tend to wonder if the people who wrote the Rathbone films mistook Holmes and Watson for Jeeves and Wooster. Much like the Holmes series which has Watson as the narrator, the Jeeves series is narrated by Bertie Wooster. Who was written as a bumbler by P.G. Wodehouse. Something for you guys to ponder.

But back to Holmes. It was a film I really enjoyed because I am a sucker for old movies to begin with. Especially when they are well done and well casted. I like old movies because it was a simpler time for films and films didn't need big budget super realistic special effect to be enjoyable. It didn't matter if it looked like an obvious blue screen or a painted set. You just suspended your disbelief and imagined it was really Victorian England.

I think we have all lost that aspect of enjoying a film. And I suppose that makes watching The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes so enjoyable for me. If you are a Sherlock Holmes fan and you have not seen it, I highly recommend you either by a copy or put it on your Netflix list.

No comments: