Well, I'm about 33 going on 34 pages into the project. And I'm probably nowhere near having the book tied up anytime soon. I have mentioned several times in several blog entries that I'm hoping to have it all finished by the end of the year. But there's the operative word. Hoping.Nonetheless, I am having a whale of a time working on it since I started a couple months ago. It was just one of those things I felt after a few false starts over the past five or more years, I had to get this project going or it would never get thing started let alone finished.
Before I started working with the Undercoverfish Group, one of the most difficult things I have faced was seeing a project through till the end. Probably one of my biggest achievement as a sequential artists (I know there are a few of you out there that hate that term, but get over yourself) came during work on the Black Widow when I got past the 20 page mark. Before that I hadn't really gotten past the 10 to 15 page mark with projects.
Before then, I had a prior attempt at a Sherlock Holmes story with an adaptation of The Adventure of the Cardboard Box. It suffered the fate of falling apart after the 10 to 15 page mark.
But I felt like I turned a corner when I completed the Black Widow. It was my first full story. Completed from start to finish. And perhaps it isn't my best work to date story-wise. I'm very proud of it. Because it was the beginning of being able to continue working on work.
And having a deadline with all three issues of the Black Widow did help too ;-)
But now event though I do not have a deadline per say on this project other than the pressure I tend to put on myself. It's the thrill of having this story published what gives me the drive to want to see it finished all the way through.
The book is coming along great!! I'll always be very critical of my work. I'm probably my worst critic. But I also have an understanding that I can only do so much to a page and then I need to stop obsessing and move on.
I suppose it's sort of like a director who keeps going back to a film he had success with in the past and continuing to amend it. I suppose a directors cut with added scenes is one thing. Sometimes that's even an asset to the film. But to constantly be going in and constantly changing a film just ruins the film.
So with that said, you will probably not see Diary of the Black Widow: The Directors Cut. I prefer to move onto my next project after I've finished the first one.
But here's hoping that I have everything done with the current project by the end of the year. If not then, at least by the beginning of next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment