
I just finished up the second cover for my two part (perhaps three part) Sherlock Holmes graphic novel. The illustration is based on a Sherlock Holmes piece by Frederic Dorr Steele. Yes. This time I'm more than certain it's by Frederic Dorr Steele.

Since William Gillette WAS Sherlock Holmes at that time, many of his Holmes illustrations featured Gillette's likeness. Sort of in the same way now how people immediately identify the character of Sherlock Holmes either with Basil Rathbone or Jeremy Brett. Although, there have been many, many really fine actors who have taken on the role in between, THOSE are the actors I think of when you mention Sherlock Holmes.
I also drew upon (no puns intended. really. seriously. honest. well, maybe a little) Sidney Paget's artwork for Holmes's attire. Which has been used in both Peter Cushing's series for the BBC in the late 1960's and Jeremy Brett's series in the 1980's to mid 1990's.
No comments:
Post a Comment