Wednesday, February 3, 2010

More NEVER THE BRIDE sketches


A first pen and ink attempt at Paul Magrs delightful Brenda and Effie. I've been having a difficult time trying to get out of drawing all my characters looking like railings. This was my second attempt at making Brenda look a bit more plump. But she still doesn't quite have that sewn up from different body parts look to her as she's supposed to.


A third attempt at Brenda. Second in pen and ink. I tried to maker her look a lot more earthy than the previous one. And I made one of her legs and foots noticeably bigger than the other one. I also decided to give her a little patchwork coat to emphasize that found element of the character.

With Brenda's character, you really have to think of a really friendly maiden aunt or great aunt you might have had at one point of your life or another. Or a friend of your Grandparents who had this very large and outgoing personality and appearance. And a smile to match.


I wasn't terribly happy with my first sketch of Alucard. You hardcore Universal Monster Movie fans know what that name is spelled the other way around ;-) When I was sketching the character I had decided to go with the author's favorite Dracula Louis Jourdan rather than my own preference of Christopher Lee. Louis Jourdan had starred as Dracula in a really great and atmospheric BBC adaptation in 1977. I added a mustache to keep in line with the Bram Stoker novel. But unfortunately, I think my first rendering of the character came out too bland sooooo....


...I did a second one. Paul's book is a celebration of the Universal Monster Movies to me, so I'm trying to get that across in a lot of my character sketches. So, this time I decided to go with a cross between Louis Jourdan and John Carradine who played the Count in a couple of the later Universal Monster Movies.


The rather odious Mr. Danby. He's kind of a cross between Mr. Joyboy from The Loved One and Truman Capote (if Capote was an evil Mad Scientist) in my sketch.


And here are a couple extra characters I really liked from Never the Bride.


A quick sketch of Mrs. Claus. The owner of a Christmas inspired hotel and another rather vile character Brenda and Effie come up against.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOMMEEE

Bret M. Herholz said...

Thanks Veronica!! Mrs. Claus amuses me the most. Google search Peggy Mount and you'll see where the inspiration of the character came from :-)