
Sixteen or seventeen years ago I might have been writing an angry letter to Marvel Comics outraged by how they killed off one of the most popular characters next to Batman and Superman in comic book history.
Now I just don't care.
I guess there has been so much revisionist history to many of these comic book superheroes that they just don't feel like the same characters I grew up with. I mean, just recently DC just pressed the reboot button and brought all their books back to issue #1 just to make it less confusing for new readers.
But for me it's just not the same Batman, Spider-Man or... um... Green Llama I grew up with.
Besides the fact they always seem to come back after the marketing stunt wears off. Superman came back. So did Batman and the Flash. Hell!! They even brought Jason Todd back.
Book like DC New Frontier and Shazam and the Monster Society of Evil have proven that characters like Spider-Man have more of a future in graphic novels. Which gives writers and artists more of an opportunity (much like a filmmaker) to put their spin on the character. It might not always be successful. But it does give the writer more of an opportunity to explore either different avenues or timelines with these characters.
I suppose it's kind of harsh but for me Spider-Man's fictional death has been met by me with a shrug.
No comments:
Post a Comment