Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Doctor Who: The Next Doctor


Illustrated in Deleter #3 Black Drawing Ink with crow quill pen and brush on Canson 11x14 smooth bristol board.

All Eleven Doctors. Plus a few extra in the shadows. The idea was taken from Paul Cornell's Seventh Doctor audio adventure Shadow of the Scourge in which the Doctor explains to Bernice Summerfield that his past incarnations stand in the shadows of his mind looking on. And occasionally being critical. But his future and possible incarnations also stand in the shadows as well.

Working with that idea, I have the newly regenerated 11th Doctor surrounded by his past selves looking on suspiciously and skeptically at the new boy. I've also placed a few alternate incarnations of the Doctors in the shadows of the new Doctor's mind as well which include Peter Cushing, Trevor Martin, Rowan Atkinson, Mark Gatiss and Richard E. Grant. There's also another figure lurking in the shadows mysteriously... and sinisterly.

In this gathering of the Doctor's past lives, I have the Tenth Doctor stepping out of the shadows slightly handing off the key to the TARDIS to his successor. Very much inspired by the now famous promotional picture of Sylvester McCoy handing over the TARDIS key to Paul McGann when he took the role back in 1996.

Unlike the previous incarnations, I have the Tenth Doc smiling as he hands things over to a new Doctor.

Currently available on E-Bay!! Click on the E-Bay button to the left hand side of the screen to start bidding!!

No comments: