
I can't admit to being a fan of the Man of Steel. If Batman's the cool uncle that buy's you beer then Superman is definitely the lame uncle that promises to buy you beer but buys O'Douls...
...or a bag of Brussels sprouts.
And the last attempt to bring Supes to the big screen was terrible. Kevin Spacey was a great Lex Luthor. But why couldn't they take a cue from Christopher Nolan and just reboot the series rather than doing a continuation of the Christopher Reeves series.
I just didn't understand that. I think more than enough time had passed to create an entirely new Superman movie. More time had past between Superman: Quest For Peace and Superman Returns than Batman and Robin and Batman Begins.
They could have used the title "Superman Returns" ironically other than it was a new Superman movie. Unfortunately, they tried to convince the audience that this was the Christopher Reeves series. And fell flat on their collective faces.
I think if they want the series to be a success, they need a new take on the character and a fresh new start.
I'm not so sure people have been clamoring for a new Superman movie over the years. But I think they might have enjoyed it a lot more if they were doing something new rather than just trying to rehash something.
Enter Christopher Nolan. Who has been tapped in hopes to revitalize the Superman series in the same way he did for the Batman series. To make things more interesting, apparently he's enlisted 300 and Watchmen director Zack Snyder. I didn't see 300 but I enjoyed the Watchmen. I didn't think it was the greatest comic book movie of all time. But it was one of those movies I didn't feel completely disappointed when I left the theater.
What's nice about Zack Snyder is the Watchmen was a bit on the dark side. Which I hope he does for a Superman film.
Superman was actually kind of a bad ass in his first appearance. Scaring the crap out of criminals by dropping them off buildings and catching them at the last minute. Holding them by their ankles as he flies through the air with that big cheesy grin the whole time.
Yeah, he was kind of a sadistic bastard. Which is a long way from the red and blue boyscout we have come to know him as. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a criminal dangling jerk.
And hopefully this means a whole new cast (apart from Kevin Spacey who I wouldn't mind see return) for a new movie.
Might I suggest because I'm sure Christopher Nolan, Zack Snyder, Warner Brother and DC Comics read my blog religiously (yeah right!) Patrick Warburton as Superman!!
Yeah, that's right! Mr. Putty from Seinfeld, the Tick and Joe Swanson from Family Guy Patrick Warburton as Superman!! I think he's a natural for the role. He's a big guy and he's got that square jaw look that actors have been lacking in the role since the days of George Reeves.
That and he's got that great voice that I think was just born to play the Man of Steel. I think they could definitely play it cheesy with that bad ass angle from the earlier Superman comics.
The new team is already doing the right thing by sending Brandon Routh and his tights home packing. Now if they want the next Superman movie to be a success, they need to enlist Patrick Warburton!!
2 comments:
Jerry Seinfeld agrees with you-- it's the reason he cast him as Putty and had him hired to play Superman in the American Express Cartoon.
I thought Christopher Reeve was okay as the goody too shoes Superman we've come to know-- and it's been a rocket slide ride downhill with the casting choices since then.
Honestly, I think the ONLY actor to ever pull the role off with some authority was George Reeves. He had the look of an ex-boxer and there was an air to him that he would only take so much of your BS before he'd shove you through a wall.
The kid who played Superman in the AWFUL remake was horrendous.
I like Warburton, I think he's amazing on the Venture Bros as Brock Sampson, but I don't know if he has the chops to take the role seriously.
But he would be a definite improvement on where they've gone since Reeves.
My thoughts exactly on George Reeves. He had that Ward Cleaver look but at the same time probably could rip you in half like a phone book.
I think Warburton might be able to pull it off given the chance. They definitely have to give Supes that "shove you through a wall" quality that he's been lacking in both the movies and on television.
Post a Comment