Sunday, November 27, 2011

Coming Soon: The Ninnies


The cover art I did for a book I illustrated for Doctor Who/Brenda and Effie author Paul Magrs's book The Ninnies.

Paul is an author whose work I have greatly enjoyed over the years. I first got into his writing with the Doctor Who series of original novels.

It bears mentioning that the strongest point of the Virgin and BBC Books that came out based on the show during those lean years when the series was yet to return was the fact that the writers were really good.

Many books based on television series are usually very weak by comparison to the original series. But not the Doctor Who series. And Paul Magrs's work I enjoyed in particular.

So, it's been great over the last few years to be able to artwork based on both his Doctor Who and non-Doctor Who work.

My wife absolutely loved the book and I had a great time illustrating it. To give you a general feel of the book, it's half Roald Dahl, another half Phantom Tollboth, yet another half John Bellairs and 100% fun!!

The book is getting ready to go to the printers so I will let you all know when it hits the shelves.

4 comments:

mezzaninedoor said...

Paul Magrs is an author who should have far more appreciation, do't think there is anything of his that I have ever disliked.

Bret M. Herholz said...

I whole-heartedly agree. As far as his Doctor Who output is concerned, his writing for me is everything I enjoyed about the classic series.

Stuart Douglas said...

And the illustrations really are the perfect complement to the text, I think.

Bret M. Herholz said...

Thank you very kindly Stuart :-)