But then I decided to shift gears and pick up a couple the Wodehouse books that have been sitting on my shelf for a couple years. I thoroughly enjoy his books. I place him up there as probably one of my favorite writers of all time. He writes the type of books that don't require a lot of deep thinking and philosophical. But if you're in need of a good laugh, Wodehouse is the best remedy. I've really enjoyed A Damsel in Distress and I just finished up Summer Lightning to name a couple.
The latter is one of the tales from Blandings Castle and the former could have easily fit in as a Blandings tale. I'm looking forward to picking up Heavy Weather at some point. The direct sequel to Summer Lightning. A Damsel in Distress has actually been twice adapted. Most notably starring George Burns and Gracie Allen. I'm not sure how much resemblance it bears to the original book. Looking on Wikipedia It doesn't look like very much as far as characters are concerned.
At the moment I'm reading Young Men in Spats which is a collection of short stories concerning Wodehouse's fictional Drones Club. To which is most famous creation of Bertram "Bertie" Wilberforce Wooster is a card carrying member of. I've always seen the Drones Club as the Diogenese Club for rich young idiots.
But what is my favorite Wodehouse book? Hmmm? As much as I enjoy the Jeeves and Wooster books, I actually have two favorites. Laughing Gas and The Adventures of Sally. Two works I'd really love to adapt as either a graphic novel or movie someday. Those would probably be the two books I'd recommend.
However, if you're new to Wodehouse's work, I'd definitely recommend picking up The Inimitable Jeeves first. I really think that's a great book for anyone who is new to the World of Wodehouse.

No comments:
Post a Comment