Paul sent me his design for the Queen of Hearts and I have to say I am very pleased with the results. Especially how he's improved upon my initial design for the character.
I had envisioned the Queen of Hearts to be the polar opposite of Alice in this story. I wanted Alice in my story not to be all sexed up. I feel like there had been too many versions of the character that made her overly sexual and I wanted the Alice of my story to be fun and adventurous.
As I mentioned before a cross between Harry Potter, Doctor Who and a touch of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
The Queen of Hearts, on the other hand, I wanted to be the complete opposite of that. I just told Paul to have at it as far as designing her goes. She physcial form matches her mental form. Vain with a very large ego to boot. If you are familiar with the original story, the Queen was a short little toad looking character. Which is how she appears at the beginning of this tale.
I envisioned her character as someone who was overweight when they were younger but ends up losing all the weight. But instead of being humble about it, becomes just as bad as the people who probably picked on them.
Or a person who was probably made fun of by the "in crowd" in High School. But goes off to college meets a group of "like minded" people in college and instead of learning from how they were treated in the past becomes just as unbearable as the groups of people who bullied and made fun of them in the past.
Progress on the book is coming along nicely. I will keep you all posted on everything going on.


No comments:
Post a Comment